Saturday, August 3, 2019

Bobbles







Some metal bobbles for a lathe, perhaps? Made a post here about a repair and some other projects.


Sunday, May 26, 2019

Monday, March 4, 2019

File Case


Made a quick file case from a piece of walnut I filleted in the apartment. I made a much more advanced pencil case too, details at aerialcopper.com


Friday, February 22, 2019

Website shift

Howdy friends!

I'm going to start posting on www.aerialcopper.com instead of this blog. It seems a shame to completely divide a blog this old into its own slice of time, so I will probably post odd bits here now and again.

It's a bit easier to blog with my own domain. It's up to me and the people I pay (nearlyfreespeech.net) to store my content this way--it seems like a more sustainable arrangement.

The website was once part of plans to make a living as an artist, but circumstances have changed and I've been swinging a hammer instead of a pencil. I'll just stick to the roots of this blog, mostly just a way for my friends and family to see what I do when I'm off the clock. So far www.aerialcopper.com is just the drawings from a small slice of time, but with good luck it'll slowly and quietly expand like this blog has.


With that, I just posted some doodles there of arrows.

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Odd Repairs



I worked in these shoes for two months, causing the mesh in the toes to fall apart. I sewed some leather patches on them. Looks a little funny but I can wear them for another year :)

Been messing with a 3D printer and fusion360. I made a vent fan with duct adaptor and wiring enclosure. I'm trying to focus on creating more elegant designs; this assembly was kind of crude. Functional though.


Good for making odd lofted surfaces, no doubt!


Didn't have a cord grip on hand, why not print it?




Fixed the clothes rack. This clothes rack is great for drying clothes and tripping my girlfriend when she gets ready for work. They just do not get along.


In the same spirit of things-made-quickly-with-hand-tools, here are some big file handles for 12" and 14" files. I ground a lathe tool to turn the ID of the copper tube, so that it would compress the fibers as it was pressed on.


Lastly, my friend hired me to fit some handle scales to knives he started. I machined the edges of the brass and micarta so they'd be tight. The slotted pins have shoulders, which meant all of the holes in the micarta had to be counterbored. Would almost have been worth making a piloted counterbore.



I'm working six days a week to build a shop space for my dad. It should eventually offer a space to store my welding equipment- maybe we'll delve into some genres new to this blog.