Sunday, August 24, 2014

Futsal Flag Base

I made a stand for the futsal flag so it can be used indoors
It's not really worth a post alone, so here is part of the cutlist I made for a cabinet. The cabinet image itself was printed, everything else (numbers, text, etc) was done old school.

Still probably not worth a post, but who's counting...

The sewing awls are next in line. I'm not going to work on any other projects until they are finished.  I have some ideas for sewing inner tubes, and more slings. Both should put an awl to good use.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Paper Laptop Feet and Sling

My laptop lost its rubber feet. I decided to make the replacements. My first thought was to cut up an eraser, but I thought it'd wear out too fast. A couple years ago I carved a laptop foot out of a feed roller from an inkjet printer, which worked well:

I didn't have any rubber lying around this time. I thought a wooden foot would be nice, a peg leg for a laptop! I decided to make them out of paper though.

I sewed a throwing sling earlier this week. It's fun to use. With the right rocks, it works well.

Edit: A noose is not so good for the end that stays attached to your finger. It tightens when you throw bigger rocks, and is uncomfortable. Best to just tie a single loop knot, and adjust it so it fits like you want.

Monday, August 18, 2014

Futsal Flag

I made a flag to promote the sport of futsal. I don't play, but my younger brother does. My dad wants to advocate it at soccer tournaments, so he hired me to make this.

Here are photos I took along the way. It took me nearly three months to finish. I probably could have finished it faster, but it suffices to say it took a while.

I didn't take photos while I was making the individual letters, though I should have. I cut out and pressed the edges on each letter segment (38 total), and then hand stitched all the connections (28 total) before machine topstitching them to the flag halves. The letters and stripes also had to be basted onto the flag before machine sewing, so it seems like everything had to be sewn at least twice.

Machine sewing the letters on was one of the easiest parts.

It looks good close up AND from far! The material is 200 and 210 denier 'coated oxford' nylon. Below you can see the hand stitched blind seams at the connections. I could have machine sewed them, but it was less accurate and about as fast by the time I got everything aligned and ready to go.

Below, a scribe is good for pulling the hidden seam up to the edge when topstitching.


Below, gusset at the tip. The collapsible pole came from Banners USA and is quite nice. I'll be making a wooden base for it, so it can be used inside.