Monday, October 3, 2016

Taig Lathe Bar Feed Steady Rest


I didn't know what to call this, but it's basically a pair of steady rests for the Taig lathe. Each has a PTFE bushing with a 5/8" inside diameter. I am about to make a few hundred brass drawer knobs, and normally the bar stock would be fed through the headstock into a collet. The Taig has a tiny spindle bore (5/16") so I had to figure out something different.

Using this set-up, I can part off knob blanks without cutting the bar beforehand. The rests keep the long bar from flapping about, and 'catch' it when it disconnects from the end held in the chuck.



I made sure to oil the bottoms of the rests well, which will hopefully keep the ways from corroding where the wood makes contact.


Here it is in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment