Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sewing Awls

About two years ago, I discovered the type of sewing awl with a bobbin built-in. I was intrigued by the concept, but disappointed by commercially available awls. Why should such an elegant concept be executed so poorly? So I set out to make my own. I machined it of aluminum bar stock with steel for the needle bar. 

I then took what I learned in the year of using that awl and applied it to the design of a second one. The second one had an integrated thread tensioner to keep the bobbin from unwinding, as well as to make tensioning of the stitches easier. The thread tension is adjustable for different weights of thread. The bobbin holder was modified for speed and ease of use. It fits nicely in the hand, placing the sewing thread right at the fingertips for control. The thread exits the bobbin holder through a small steel tube to prevent wear on the aluminum body. The first awl was made to last a century; the second was made to last three.


I sold it late Jan. 2014, but I may make more if people show interest. v2.0 was made of 6061 aluminum, 316 stainless, 12L14 steel, and C360 brass. Accepts DBx1 needles and standard industrial bobbin.

Dimensions 5" OAL x 1.125" x .875"





Here it is next to the original:




No comments:

Post a Comment