I needed to mix greasy splinters mill aluminum on the rotary table. I got tired of turning the handle and was not looking forward to the 4-8 hours I had ahead of me, so I set up a motor and jackshaft to do it for me.
The part is for an electronic leadscrew for the lathe. Here's a CAD sketch as messy as my workbench:
I can't take much credit for this fan since Dad did 95% of the work. It's coming along; I took some pictures after I affixed the struts and installed the mechanical parts. It looks out of a different time. Louvers, inlet screen, fan duct, and motor mount are in progress.
Here is a whistle I whittled out of elderberry (?) stalk. The inside is like sponge so I just cleaned it out with another stick. It worked when it was wet; I knew it would stop working when it dried out and shrunk. I have some more stalk drying out so I can make a long-term whistle... or maybe a blowgun.
The tube can be all sorts of things. Probably the most elegant one is made of willow as Ben Orford shows. There aren't many willows here though. Here is the recipe. The plugs are just round wood of some kind.
Here are four of eight brass handles I made for Dad to put on furniture. The 'knobs' are 3/4" diameter by 3/4" tall. Overall width is about 3 1/2". I also made eight handle-less knobs of the same dimensions.
Four months earlier:
From a previous post:
I'm rebuilding an old Craftsman power hacksaw. Taking my operation right into The Industrial Age.
Dad put the wide format box joint jig to good use. He's building a 34" square fan for us, which I designed. By "designed" I mean "ordered the parts for and scribbled out wooden connector pieces out in DaveCAD2000 Trial Version."
Fingers are 3/4" square. Forgot how deep the box is but feel free to count. It's big. Size reference is an ASME standard size LC-118-B bottle of C3H8O for those that counted the fingers.